Bike rides, patience, & Rewards

One of my favorite things to do with my children is going for walks while they go bike riding. During the summer months the children take turns picking different routes and we head out for our adventure. This summer, however, I will be having Emma ride her bike along with her brothers. In order to keep up with her brothers, we are training now to see how far she can ride her bike.

We make it to down to the corner and she stops. She doesn't want to hit the little dog on the sidewalk.....we make it down to another block and she doesn't want to hit the mailman.....we make it down another block and she stops because her leg fell asleep.......we make it one more block and she stops because the wind is pushing her back. Patience, I tell myself. "Emma the wind is not strong enough to push you back unless it is a tornado wind." Emma says, "Mommy, it was a tornado wind!" I ask her if we should continue she said yes.

While walking by Blake's school, a man came out of the school and told Emma that he had a gift for her because she was wearing her helmet. Come to find out, it was Mike Heikes, the brain injury survivor who provides free bicycle helmets to anyone who doesn't have one. He asked if Caleb and I had one. Then he gave each of us a helmet, and to let him know if their is anyone else out there that may need one. So if any of you are interested here is his email: helmetsforkids@yahoo.com

Comments

Denise said…
What a cool experience!

I am sure that will stay with Emma for a long time!
the mom~ said…
I love mIke, what an awesome guy he is! And I can't believe Emma is riding that far, did you walk/ride to Cleveland?
Heather said…
Wow, Emma is a bike riding pro! I miss sidewalks!!! And Mike totally rocks!
Don't look now, but more stinkin'(I mean white,beautiful)SNOW is headed our way! UGH!!!

Popular Posts