Lick my toes!!!

I love my second son, Blake. I love how he loves to laugh, play with his siblings, and jokes around. One thing that I struggle with him.... he is a picky eater. The pickiest eater that I ever known. He thinks grapefruit juice tastes like cow spit. He thinks that peanut butter smells, and he thinks that any food mixed/touched/or in a soup is wrong. What does he eat???
Last night I made a chicken broccoli rice casserole which I knew I was going to have problems with Blake. He took one look at it and went up to the refrigerator to find something else to eat.
I told him he needed to sit down and at least try the food before he dismissed it. He was not happy. He sulked at the dinner table refusing to eat at all. (He will wait until morning to eat his breakfast before trying a bite of dinner)
Out of the blue, Roger blurts out, "If you take one bite of your dinner, I will lick my toes!" Gross....hey an idea. I told Blake that I would love to see his daddy lick his big toe if he would try a bite of dinner. Blake starts laughing and looks at his dinner. You would think I was asking him to eat dog food by the way he stared down my food. Roger starts teasing him telling him not to eat his dinner, and the rest of the family cheered Blake on.
Blake took two bites of his dinner.

A Kodak moment of Blake eating two bites of dinner....

...and daddy trying to lick his toes. Unfortunately, he couldn't reach his toes so he did the next best thing that he could think of...

...run barefoot outside in the snow!!
Did I mention that it was -18 degrees last night?
We are proud of Blake for trying a bite of dinner and proud of Daddy for braving the arctic cold for his son!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sounds like my crazy brother! It worked didn't it? And you got a smile out of Blake too! That's better than a bad attitude in my eyes :0)
Denise said…
lol! this sounds like a skill Roger needs to work on.

Maybe he and Blake can make a deal. Every time Blake tries a new food, Daddy will practice licking his toes.

But the time Blake isn't picky, Roger should be able to get all the way there!!!
Lori said…
I have to tell you I was very distrubed by the title of this blog. I'm mean you don't even have a dog...I was worried. But it all makes sense now...and a great story. Where would our kids be without their Daddy's.
Lara said…
What a fun, creative solution to an age old problem! Roger might be a little crazy for going outside barefoot in that kind of cold, but it averted a power struggle and Roger still has all his toes (I assume)...so all is well!
Nae said…
I was prepared to be very impressed with Roger's flexibility if he could actually lick his toes. I certainly would have done that rather than go outside barefoot! YIKES - it would take me 24 hours to warm back up if I pulled that stunt.
Heather said…
Gotta love the crazy things that Dad's will do for their kids!
Kim said…
Go Roger and those parenting techniques!! Oh how I miss our resident psychologist!
michelle said…
Thats so funny about Roger, I probaly couldn't reach my toe either. My Blake is a very picky eater too. Though if I feed him he tends to eat better, It gets him to eat and especially his veggies, but he is 6 so I am not sure if feeding him is the right thing to do. Maybe I will have to offer, Scott will lick his toe if he eats all by himself.

Popular Posts