Crazy morning...

Have you ever had a morning when your lovely child decides this is the morning they decide to pull a full-pledge morning tantrum? Maybe you haven't, but unfortunately it happens to us more times than I care to remember. My sweet Blake is notorious for them. Some of you have experienced his "stubborn tantrums" and may shudder at the thought that he pulled one this morning. I love my son. He is so helpful, sweet, playful, loving, and caring that you can't help but kiss and hug him all over. He also has his punk side....his stubborn side....the stubborn gene that I lovingly thanked my mom for passing it on to my children (hi mom!!)
This morning, Blake couldn't find a snack to bring to school and he had only a couple of minutes to catch the bus. He is starting to escalate and this is the point you remind him to calm down and what can you do to help him.....too late, he's mad....tantrum starting. I am watching the clock and I remind him that he will not get a ride to school if he misses his bus due to a tantrum. Nope, he didn't care. I reminded him that it is 19 degrees outside and that it is cold and he will have to walk to school in the cold, (in my heart hoping that will deter him from his tantrum)..nope. BIG SIGH HERE.....he misses the bus, he is sent to his room until he calms himself down. Blake is my only child that can calm himself down, no one else can do it for him. You have to be patient with him and wait until he is ready to come and talk to you.
When he finally calms down he comes out and apologizes. I forgive him and tell him he has to walk to school now. He starts to escalate again....I remind him again (patience is wearing thin about now) that he doesn't get a ride to school because he chose to throw a tantrum and miss his bus.
We leave. It's cold. We walk quietly the four blocks to school, and I am home thawing out my ears and blogging this experience for me.
I find that blogging can be very therapeutic for me. Blake will come home back to his sweet and loving self as if nothing happens; and all I have to say is when he gets older he better show that same stubborn streak to his friends when they want him to do something he doesn't or shouldn't do!!

Comments

Denise said…
This is EXACTLY why God makes them so cute...otherwise...
the mom~ said…
I think him and Ethan were seperated at birth, he does the SAME thing!!! Craziness!
Lori said…
Way to stick to your guns. That is no fun to deal with in the morning. Especially when it is so cold.
Lara said…
Way to go! That would have been so hard to not give in and just drive him to school. I always hope those hard things we do now will pay off later. : )
Heather said…
Good for you for handling that so well. I think I would not have been so patient. You are awesome Char!
Nae said…
Thanks for sharing your story. I can so relate! We had a similar situation with Abby when she was in 2nd grade that escalated into her having to miss the school bus due to a tantrum... however, I think that if she would have had to walk to school in the cold as a consequence, it would have been better because you know the whole way there, Blake was wishing he would have made different choices. Teaching self control is so difficult and you had an excellent approach!

Popular Posts