The Big and the Brave

Today the boys started on their swimming lessons. Living by so many lakes, I feel it would be a great help if some of my kids knew how to swim. Blake has been going for a couple of years, but Ethan hasn't taken any since he was 5 years old. So, gas prices are high (big surprise) and we decide that we are going to start biking everywhere.

We left this morning, and I am doing ok. I have been practicing the last couple of weeks (it has been a long time since I rode a bike), my body trying to remember which muscles to use, and pulling the bike trailer with Caleb in it. We get a great start and then we come to the "hill". I am thinking, "If Emma can do it, so can I" So off I go.....muscles starting to burn, lungs grasping for air, thinking, "I can do it if Emma can do it".......and barely making it!!! I am big and proud.....until I see the other "hill" that leads to the middle school. Forget it, I am walking my bike up this hill.

We arrive at the swimming pool, and they have Ethan start practise diving at the deep end. Ethan is terrified of deep water, and I thought no way is he going to do that. He did it!!! He dived into the pool more than once and swam around, and even sunk into the water. He said that he is still scared, but I told him that he was very brave to accomplish something that he is afraid of and to keep trying! He is excited for swimming lessons tomorrow more than I am of my "hill"!

Comments

Lori said…
That is great! Way to go Ethan! We too are trying to cut down on driving. I see gas went up again today. When will it Stop??
Heather said…
We rode our bikes all over town today too. We went to 4 different places today and didn't start the car once!!! We are going to try to do that every Tuesday. Next time I'll have to limit the # of library books my girls check out though. And maybe next week we can meet at the park for lunch after the library?
cinnamon said…
I wish we could bike ride here right now, but it is too hot!! Have to wait for winter time!! By the way, your very last paragraph, you spelled practice wrong (you spelled it practise). Just letting you know!!
Kim said…
Go Ethan!! Go Char on a bike!! You did better than me. I hill would have killed me!
the mom~ said…
Wow, you guys rock. But...you didnt ride to the movies today...LOL

Popular Posts