Rambling Thoughts of a Protective Mom
BEWARE:
You will experience what runs through my mind, crazy or not you have been warned!!
Today I watched my oldest son leave for his first time on his own Boy Scout Camp for a whole week!!! A whole week!!! Seven days!!! We have never been apart that long for the almost eleven years he has been with me. I know that many others already have had this experience and have had no problem leaving their children behind; but I've always had a hard time. Unless it is Roger watching them when I left for my Girls Weekend Away, I have a very hard time having any one else watch my children. Who could do a better job than me? What if something happens to them and I'm not there and they ask, "Where's my mom?" "Why is she not here when I need her?" Can you see the guilt that I put myself in??
Ethan has been excited about this scout camp trip, and I have been dreading it for the past couple of months. Will he be ok? Will they watch him and make sure that he is safe?
I know this is part of life and I knew it was coming sooner than I liked, but doesn't 10 3/4 years old seem so young to be away from their parents??
Yesterday we were packing up all his gear, going over everything that he needed to bring when he tells me that he is worried about being away from us. I asked him if he was going to miss us, and he said that he was going to miss us and if we packed any quarters so he could call us on the pay phone.
I was touched that he actually was going to miss us and then I started to get worried. If he is worried, shouldn't he just stay home with us and we try this again next year? I'm sure that I will be more ready next year and he will be older that we could try again.
Instead, I told him that he will have a lot of fun fishing, swimming, and camping with his friends and that he will be ok and have a great time. Yeah, I know, good job on giving him what he needs, blah, blah, blah......
I've only cried twice so far and doing ok. I didn't realize how hard it was to let my son grow up and doing things on his own that I can't be a part of.... and it's only for a week.
I have a friend who is preparing herself and her son for his mission for two years!! I can't imagine the sacrifice she and her hubby are giving to their son as he fulfills his mission. I'm not even close, and Roger said this was good practice for me as we will someday prepare our son for his mission.......those eight years are going to come by fast.
You will experience what runs through my mind, crazy or not you have been warned!!
Today I watched my oldest son leave for his first time on his own Boy Scout Camp for a whole week!!! A whole week!!! Seven days!!! We have never been apart that long for the almost eleven years he has been with me. I know that many others already have had this experience and have had no problem leaving their children behind; but I've always had a hard time. Unless it is Roger watching them when I left for my Girls Weekend Away, I have a very hard time having any one else watch my children. Who could do a better job than me? What if something happens to them and I'm not there and they ask, "Where's my mom?" "Why is she not here when I need her?" Can you see the guilt that I put myself in??
Ethan has been excited about this scout camp trip, and I have been dreading it for the past couple of months. Will he be ok? Will they watch him and make sure that he is safe?
I know this is part of life and I knew it was coming sooner than I liked, but doesn't 10 3/4 years old seem so young to be away from their parents??
Yesterday we were packing up all his gear, going over everything that he needed to bring when he tells me that he is worried about being away from us. I asked him if he was going to miss us, and he said that he was going to miss us and if we packed any quarters so he could call us on the pay phone.
I was touched that he actually was going to miss us and then I started to get worried. If he is worried, shouldn't he just stay home with us and we try this again next year? I'm sure that I will be more ready next year and he will be older that we could try again.
Instead, I told him that he will have a lot of fun fishing, swimming, and camping with his friends and that he will be ok and have a great time. Yeah, I know, good job on giving him what he needs, blah, blah, blah......
I've only cried twice so far and doing ok. I didn't realize how hard it was to let my son grow up and doing things on his own that I can't be a part of.... and it's only for a week.
I have a friend who is preparing herself and her son for his mission for two years!! I can't imagine the sacrifice she and her hubby are giving to their son as he fulfills his mission. I'm not even close, and Roger said this was good practice for me as we will someday prepare our son for his mission.......those eight years are going to come by fast.


Comments