Almost 10k....

 What is an almost 10k you ask?? Well, pull up a chair and enjoy the story.  A couple of friends of mine started talking two months ago about doing a 10k run.  Since I've done one a year ago, I agreed to go ahead and do one again.  I asked another friend if she wanted to train with me and she was crazy enough to agree with me. For two months we trained for the 10k in hot, humid 5:30 (yes that early) runs in the morning, running in rainstorms drenched completely, and even pushing strollers to get a run in!  We were prepared and ready for our run!
The morning of our race (Saturday) we left in plenty of time so we could stretch and warm up before the race started.  Unfortunately, the stars were not align for us and we got stuck in traffic for about a half an hour.  So by the time we arrived at the garage to park, walk quickly to the starting race they started singing the National Anthem.  After a quick trip to the stinky toilets, we had a minute to spare to grab a quick picture before the race began.....
Don't we look excited and ready?? We were pumped and ready to go!
We were off!  It was packed and it was crowded.  I was not concern.  Being an experienced 10k runner :), I knew that the pack will start thinning out soon and that we would have some breathing room.  We ran in a quick pace, dodging left and right around the runners, jumping on and off sidewalks, and searching for shade to comfort us from the heat and humidity.  All of a sudden, we noticed runners already coming back.  I thought, "man they are fast runners" and kept on running and concentrating.  Then a few minutes later, we saw the point we turned and the time reading 17 mins.  I thought again, "their is no way I can run 3miles in 17 mins!! They must have shorten our race."  So what else could I do but keep on running looking confused and unsure.  The great debate during the run was whether we should start picking up the pace if it was a shorter run or not  just in case we were wrong so we don't tire ourselves out too quickly?  Do you see our dilemma?
So we just keep on running and soon Kastell asks if that is the finish line.  I looked but wasn't quite sure.  So we decided to run a little faster and before we knew it we were done!
I asked someone how far the race was and he said it was a 5k!!  A 5k!!!  Why?
This is why....
IMPORTANT INFORMATION -- TODAY's LHH RACE IS BEING CHANGED TO A TIMED 5K

Good morning runners and walkers in the 21st Lawyers Have Heart Race and Fun Walk.
This morning at 5 am, we determined that because of the combination of high heat and humidity and for YOUR SAFETY today's LHH 10K race is being changed to a 5K race. We will be running the first half of today's planned course. The 5K race will still be timed. This determination has been made in partnership with our medical advisors and the DC government for your safety. We thank you for your understanding.

Apparently, none of us got the memo and since we were late none of us heard the announcement that it had been changed.
After the race.....
So that is the story of an almost 10k run.  It was very anti-climatic for us, but since we  ALL did run six miles during our training we accomplished our goal!! 
These ladies are awesome!They were great motivators for me and fun to run with! I would run another 10k...I mean a 5k....I mean a 10k with them any day!!!

Comments

Nae said…
What a great memory and story tho'! Glad you could share the event with friends and everyone was safe. I heard the Fargo races in May had a record number of runners w/ heat exhaustion due to the high humidity. It prevents the sweat from evaporating... I didn't participate in the Fargo event this year. Maybe next year, but have done 2 5K's in the past 2 weeks.
Vanessa said…
Too funny!! Good for you though! What was your time??

Popular Posts