Sweet moment....

Do you ever wonder if the things that you are teaching your children ever get through to them?
I often find myself wondering this very thought, especially after repeatedly telling my children not to do something, just because you think it's funny it's not, or why did you do that.
With Ethan being the oldest and getting ready to be 12 this July, I have found myself contemplating if we are teaching him the tools that he needs to have to combat the world we live in.
We discovered two years ago that he has ADHD. With this in mind, we've had to take a step back and really think, ponder and pray what was in Ethan's best interest and how we could help him learn to adjust his life with new found knowledge.
It's not an easy journey and requires A LOT of patience. We had to teach him to focus, set up routines, and to make sure he completes the task that he was given. In return, he fought, argued and cried, but in the end he wouldn't give up or quit. He tries his hardest at whatever he does and has succeeded.
This really doesn't have anything to do with my question before, but as I started writing this blog, I realized about all the accomplishments he has overcome despite his ADHD. He doesn't let it get in the way and has gone above and beyond to prove that he can do anything.
As he continues to grow and becoming the man that is now showing, gives me the answer that I have pondered for some time.
The answer is yes.
I was helping Blake with a project that is due for school, and with him getting already upset, I wasn't sure what I could do to make it easier for him. Ethan came in and sat with Blake and they both came up with a plan that worked for Blake.
I was touched by that sweet tender brother to brother moment.
He was able to calm and help Blake when I wasn't able to. I've been noticing lately, that he has been stepping up and helping me with the other kids when they aren't listening to me, or I'm helping with one and another needs my attention. He is quick to make sure that if he is needed, he is there.
I wanted to write this down before I forgot to remind myself (when I get upset with him) that he is a great guy and I love him very much!
I am proud of Ethan for working so hard in being the best that he can be. I'm so thankful to be his mother and being able to grow with him. I only hope and pray we will continue to have this relationship as he enters his teenage years which is not too far off!!!

Comments

Lori said…
I love to hear this. He is growing up. Congratulations, Mom...you are doing great!!
Unknown said…
I remember when the twins and Michaela started helping me out this way. It only becomes more frequent the helping I mean. The down side is that at that point, the bad became worse because of hormones :0( It's all worth it though. I love it too when siblings help each other out. I guess we must be doing something right?
the mom~ said…
sniff sniff...incredible! I love hearing stories like this!
Lara said…
sounds like one of those proud mom moments to me. Your hard work is paying off. :)
Heather said…
I love these stories too. I had one of my own last week between Miranda and Madison which is rare. Miranda actually had Madi on her lap helping with math after I had already reduced Madi to tears. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture like you did. Good job. I love the moments of realization that maybe what we are doing is working after all!

Popular Posts