Did you know....

...that children have a 40% percent chance of having allergies if one of the parents have allergies?
That would explain whenever I see my son, Ethan, he has Kleenex up his nose or picking at it or frustrated because he can't breathe.
We discovered when he was six years old that he developed some allergies and since I have them I just told him the tricks of the trade. What medicines he can take, what to avoid, and how to keep himself allergy free.
It wasn't long until I noticed it was getting worse. He was constantly stuffed up, he was using the Neti pot almost daily, and the medicine (Clariton) didn't seem to help him at all.
Recently, I discovered that not only does he try to clear his nose with the occasional sniff, he also clear his throat with a hum. So if you can imagine a boy sitting there trying to breathe as he sniffes through his nose then hums to clear his throat. It can be very distracting.
I was worried and asked him if he was having trouble breathing. He said no, but it felt like something was in his throat and he can't get it out.
We decided to have him tested to see what he was allergic to. After all, it was winter and what could possibly be triggering his allergies at this moment.
We just received the results and.........whoa!
They gave me a scale of 0-6, 0 as no allergies and 6 as very allergic.
Ethan is allergic to:
dust -2
two types of grass - 3, 4
trees
-box elder -3
-silver birch -4
-oak -3
-elm- 3
two types of weed
-ragweed -5
-another type - 4

That is everything in our backyard!!!
I asked them what is our next step and they want him to see an allergist. They are concerned because when they tested to see how elevated his allergies are, anything above 100 was elevated.....Ethan was 515!!! In the middle of winter!
I asked them what do we have to do? Move out of state?

They told me the good news is that he is not allergic to cat, dog, mold and the American cockroach!

whewwww....I was worried about that last one for a minute!!LOL!!

Comments

Lori said…
Poor guy! Allergies are SO not fun. I hope they find something that will help. I have to take 2 allergy meds (at the same time) to keep mine under control in the summer. Good luck! Any news on a job?
the mom~ said…
Oh no, poor Ethan! :(
I hope he gets some relief soon!
Unknown said…
Aaww!!! Poor Ethan! POOR YOU! Good luck with the allergist, hopefully he can help. I have read that if you eat honey that is from around where you live it really helps with allergies :0)
Kirk said…
You will be needing this:
http://www.tricountyhumanesociety.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&Itemid=6
Lara said…
Poor guy! Two of my five kids got Glen's allergies and they are not fun!
Nae said…
That sure explains a lot. What kind of coping strategies did they give him? I tested out very similar to Ethan accept I also have the cat, dog and 2 different kind of molds and allergy induced asthma. I went through 5 years of shots starting when I was 23 and it was a life saver for me! Abby has allergies, but hers are much more limited thankfully. So in our family, we are currently batting 500 with our kids. Any symptoms with the other 3 kids?

Popular Posts