Sad moment for Emma....

Remember when Emma was super excited to get her earrings last September??
She was so happy to get them!
Unfortunately, it didn't last long.....
After the six weeks of waiting and cleaning and rotating she was finally able to switch out her earrings.
We bought some for her birthday and put them on.
Later on that day, we noticed that her ear was starting to get red, so we took them off and put the original ones back on.
Slowly, but surely her ears turned for the worse.
It was swollen, black and blue, pus and blood on the back of her ear.
We took her to the doctor, he said it was an infection, gave her some amoxicillan and sent her home.
It helped, but she had this bump behind her ear that would pus and bleed and scab over and repeat itself over and over again.
We have no idea what it is.
Last week, we finally called a dermatologist and they suggested to remove the earrings and see if that would heal her ear.
We did.
It was a sad day.
Emma is actually sick her but you get the idea....earrings gone.
This is what she has behind her ear.  Now that the earrings are off, the scab completely covered her hole in the back.
We are waiting to see if it will heal on its own.
It's a disgusting little bugger, but if it heals, Emma has plans to pierce her ears again come September!
We are hoping that she will be able to keep them. If not, she may be one of the few girls who cannot wear earrings. Not sure why since her grandma, cousins, her momma, her aunts all wear earrings????
Any ideas to what it may be??

Comments

Lara said…
It took getting my ears pierced to realize that I'm allergic to metal. It's my only allergy to anything and it looked a lot like that. My ears would get itchy, red, and would scab up like that after a while.

My sister can wear nickel-free (or real gold) earrings and be okay, but I never could find earrings that worked for me. I can't wear watches either.
valerie said…
Yeah, some people can't have earrings with certain metals.. goodluck! I love earrings.
Unknown said…
I can only wear earings for a day then I have to give them a break for a week or so before I can wear earings again. Otherwise they get infected. When I first got them pierced they where crusted from puss for a while maybe 6 months. Clip- ons Emma cutie! They are worth a try!
Unknown said…
I can only wear earings for a day then I have to give them a break for a week or so before I can wear earings again. Otherwise they get infected. When I first got them pierced they where crusted from puss for a while maybe 6 months. Clip- ons Emma cutie! They are worth a try!

Popular Posts