Mount Vernon....

 I was so excited to finally come to George Washington's home.  I have heard nothing but great things about this place!!
We drove down with 10 kids this time.  Much easier to handle in a more controlled setting.  We walked around the grounds anxiously waiting for our turn to go inside the home.  We came across a greenhouse and went inside...
...two men dressed during the time who worked with George Washington on the plantation.  One was a doctor who informed us about three myths that were not true about George Washington.  He did not have wooden teeth, he did not throw a silver dollar across the Potomac River and he did not cut down the cherry tree when he was younger.  The other man (dressed in blue) worked with George Washington's children.  Why is he looking the other way?
Probably, because some boys in the back were being a bit noisy while he was talking.  Thankfully, I wasn't sitting by them so I didn't have to claim them!
He then pulls out his manners handbook from 1789 to teach the boys on ways to improve their manners! LOL!! It was so funny!  Whats even more classic, is the picture above the man  with the gray shirt giving his children "the look" which I assume because they weren't behaving either! :)
He did figure out they were my kids and asked me if I wanted a copy of the manners book.  I said, "yes, please."
Our walk towards the house and a view of the Potomac River.
As usual, you are not allowed to take pictures inside the home.  I couldn't believe how much original stuff they had inside.  I was seeing a chair that George Washington sat on.  I saw the master bedroom, oil paintings and the actual paint that George chose to color his walls!  It was amazing!

We continued our walk around the plantation looking at different kinds of buildings...
...stopping to see the farm animals
....taking a look at George Washington's Tomb
...hoping next time to take a boat ride along the Potomac River
....and walking around the grounds were George Washington walked.  It was surreal and simply amazing!
You can't do everything in one day, but you sure try to squeeze in as much as you can.  Towards the end, you enter a Education Center to learn everything about George Washington life.  We whisked through it only so we could take the younger kids to the Children's area where they played with toys during that time period and learned about George Washington in a smaller scale.
If anyone decides to come visit DC, I would highly recommend this place as a must see.  I loved every moment of it and I look forward to going back soon!

Comments

Jana Hyatt said…
It looks like fun! Love the picture with the Look. That is classic!

Popular Posts