10 am Rain

One of the first things that I looked forward to was getting back to walking with my friends.  We would drop off our kids to school and take the little ones for a nice walk around our neighborhood.  It is a great time for talking about whatever is on our minds.  It's awesome!

Today was the day to start walking and unfortunately, my friend couldn't come so I decided to go ahead and walk by myself.  I found a great route with some killer hills that would do great wonders for my hips, butt and thighs. 

I checked the weather and it said it wasn't "suppose" to rain till around 10am.  I left at 8:45 with plenty of time to go walking and get home before the rain came in.  You know where this is going....

So I start my walk talking with my son Caleb, who is such a hoot.  He thinks he is so funny and when I don't think he is funny he informs me that Grandma thinks he is funny.  Who can argue with that??

As we continued our walk, talking (he wanted to know why we had blood in our bodies), I heard thunder off the distant.  I figured it was far enough away that I still had plenty of time to get my walk in.  I continued walking.  Not five minute went by and I heard another one, a bit closer so I increased my walk to a slow jog.  After all, I was almost at the half way point, it hadn't started raining yet, and I wanted to get my walk in for the day, so I hurried to the half way point, turned around and went home.

Then I heard that third thunder really really really close by and I knew it was here.  I didn't listen the two times when I could have turned around and most likely made it home. Oh no, not me, the stubborn one who sometimes, ok most of the time needs a kick in the pants before I realize what is going on didn't listen.  I took off.

It rained.  It down poured.  I was wet.

My poor little boy is cuddling in his stroller and I lower the canopy over his body as best as I could trying to keep him dry as best as I could while running as fast as I can back to our car.

Those hills were not friendly to me.  I can't see. My glasses were wet.  My lungs hurt.  Why did I not listen to the warning sound sooner?

I remembered there was a Catholic Church close by so I ran there to dry off a bit and to call my sister-in-law to come and get us, but she was no where nearby to help out.

I figured I had about 3/4 mile left to my car and decided to run as fast as I could to get to my car.

I ran. I made it, my lungs burned, I was soaking wet and I learned a valuable lesson.

Those warning sounds or gentle whispers we hear whether they are a still small voice, a thunder or something else are there to help and guide us.  I know sometimes we think our way is better, right, or easier but then we just get wet along the way.  I should have listened. Instead of praying for protection from the storm, I needed to pray for forgiveness for not listening.  I pray for my family every day that they are watched over and protected and I ignored the answer.  I needed to be reminded that answers to prayers come in any shape and form and He is always there to answer them as long as we are willing to listen.  I will listen better.

Comments

Popular Posts