Media Blackout.....
Yep, that's right.....
media blackout in our home for a week.
Kids were upset, lying on the ground dying of boredom, thinking of ways their lives couldn't get any worse.......and that was the first day!
Roger and I decided to have a media blackout for several reasons. The two obvious reason......too much fighting and wasting most of the day watching TV or playing a video game/computer/ds. I hadn't realize that when I'm busy with one kid, I send another to the tube. Then I would get distracted, lose track of time and before you know it, they have consumed three hours of their lives in front of one of the medias. It was time to make some changes.
We decided as a family to see what would happen if we had no media for a week. Seven days. How would our family use our time? Would our relationships with each other improve/not improve? What would the kids choose to do instead?
The results.......improvements.
We found their was less fighting with each other (a big bonus). Since we live in Texas, weather was beautiful last week(and most of winter) that the kids spent most of their days outside playing and with each other!! We also discovered some new hidden talents that would have been otherwise ignored. The kids did much better than we expected, but at the same time they were happy to have their technology back. After all, we do live in a technology world, we are expected to to know it and learn it for work, school, home and at the same time enjoy it too (blogging)! For our family, we are going to enjoy it with limits so that we can enjoy more time with our family, our talents and our friends.
media blackout in our home for a week.
Kids were upset, lying on the ground dying of boredom, thinking of ways their lives couldn't get any worse.......and that was the first day!
Roger and I decided to have a media blackout for several reasons. The two obvious reason......too much fighting and wasting most of the day watching TV or playing a video game/computer/ds. I hadn't realize that when I'm busy with one kid, I send another to the tube. Then I would get distracted, lose track of time and before you know it, they have consumed three hours of their lives in front of one of the medias. It was time to make some changes.
We decided as a family to see what would happen if we had no media for a week. Seven days. How would our family use our time? Would our relationships with each other improve/not improve? What would the kids choose to do instead?
The results.......improvements.
We found their was less fighting with each other (a big bonus). Since we live in Texas, weather was beautiful last week(and most of winter) that the kids spent most of their days outside playing and with each other!! We also discovered some new hidden talents that would have been otherwise ignored. The kids did much better than we expected, but at the same time they were happy to have their technology back. After all, we do live in a technology world, we are expected to to know it and learn it for work, school, home and at the same time enjoy it too (blogging)! For our family, we are going to enjoy it with limits so that we can enjoy more time with our family, our talents and our friends.


Comments